Inception of Centre for Women’s Studies:
The Centre for Women’s Studies was established in Andhra University on 27th May, 1987 in accordance with the guidelines of the UGC to establish such Centres in Universities and colleges. The Centre was christened as Dr.Durgabai Deshmukh Centre for Women’s Studies on 9th March, 2007.
The primary role of the Centre is
- Knowledge production, Knowledge assimilation and Knowledge transmission
Since its inception, the Centre’s activities have been in line with the following major thrust areas:
- Teaching and Training
- Research and Action Research
- Field Action
- Net working and mentoring
- Extension services
- Cluster and Nodal activities
- Documentation and Dissemination
Specific Objectives of the Centre
- To teach women’s studies and integrate the gender perspective in Social Science, Science & Technology and Teaching and Research.
- To sensitize students and administrative staff on gender issues.
- To promote awareness in the community about gender discrimination and its impact on women.
- To study the impact of the changing economy and polity on gender relations.
- To conduct research and action programs on issues pertaining to women’s lives and gender relations.
- The nurture and mentor the young Centres / Cells in Universities and Colleges.
- To network with stakeholders such as NGOs, other civil society representatives to promote women’s equal participation in social, economic and political processes.
- To impart computer skills in order to enhance future women’s leadership.
- To work as Resource Centre on Women in the State of Andhra Pradesh
Landmark Events of the Centre:
- Hosted IV National Conference of Indian Association for Women’s Studies (IAWS), 1989
- Conducted a Nationwide Research Project on Girl Child and the Family collaborated work by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi in 1991.
- Participated and actively involved in Anti – Arrack Movement in 1992 – 93 and first time recorded the movement and published a book ‘The Women Rouse: An overview of Anti- Liquor movement and Aftermath’, Andhra University, Press and Publications, series no. 216, 1997
- Initiated Counselling Centre for Women at the Centre premises in 2005.
- MoU with Millennium Software Solutions to impart computer skills and enhance women future leadership in 2007.
- Full time Post Graduation Course in Women’s Studies has been initiated in 2008 -09 academic year.
- The Centre has been attained III Phase status in XI Plan period (2007 – 2012).
- Celebrated Centenary Birthday of Dr. Durgabai Deshmukh in 2010.
- Organized International Conference on Gender Mainstreaming: Issues and Strategies for Empowerment in 2014.
- Partnership Meeting with UNICEF Team in 2015 on Empowerment of Adolescent Girls (SABLA Programme).
- The Director Prof. B. Ratna Kumari was nominated as the Chair Person, District Level Local Complaint Committee, Against to Sexual Harassment at Work Place, Visakhapatnam District for the period of 1915-18.