- Name : Prof. S. Sumitra
- Designation : PRINCIPAL (College of Law)
- Email : email@example.com
Law College was established in Andhra University in 1945 in order to meet a long felt need for a College of Law in this part of the country, which was then a part of the province of Madras. It must be said that the College owes its genesis to the farsightedness and wisdom of Dr. C.R.Reddy, the foundation Vice-Chancellor of this University, who, in consultation with Jurists like Sri Lionel Leach, Chief Justice of Madras, Sri P.V.Rajamannar, the then Advocate General of Madras, Sri V.Govindarajachari, Advocate and a few others, laid its foundations. In a message which he gave on the occasion of the formal inauguration of the College by Sri P.V.Rajamannar, Judge of the Madras High Court, on 4th August, 1945 at Machilipatnam, Dr. Reddy emphasized the need for enriching the Academic study of law in the Universities as contrasted with the mere training for forensic practice. He visualized this institution as a centre for comparative and interdisciplinary study of Law, feeding the stream of national life with teachers and juries consults as well as practicing lawyers.
The College started functioning from 4th July, 1945 in a private building in Machilipatnam, belonging to one Sri JanakiRam Naidu. At that time the University was at Guntur due to exigencies of the Second World War. For about a fortnight, Sri K.V.Gopalaswamy, M.A., (Oxon) Bar-at-Law, was "Interim Professor-in-charge". In July, 1949 the College was shifted to the University Campus at Waltair. Since then the college had outstanding jurists and Legal Luminaries as the Members of the Faculty such as the venerated Prof. S.Venkataraman, Prof. G.C.V.Subba Rao, Prof. V.Balasubrahmaniam, Prof. D.Gopalakrishna Sastry, Prof A.S.Ramachandra Rao, Prof. V.Lakshmana Rao all of who also are no more Prof. B.S.Murty (Retired), Prof. K.Gupteswar (Retired) among others. The College which was for quite a long time a Department of Arts, Commerce and Law College, has been reconstructed as a separate College of Law on 14th April, 1989. As a mark of respect towards the great son of India and chief architect of the Constitution of India Dr.BhimaRao Ramji Ambedkar, the College has been renamed as Andhra University, Dr. B.R.Ambedkar College of law with effect from 10-05-1991.
Hailed as one of the premier Institutes of legal educational Institute in the country, this college can boast of such distinguished and eminent personalities as Justice K.Rama Swamy, former Judge, Supreme Court of India, Justice Amareswari, Judge (Retd.) A.P. High Court, Justice Immaneni Panduranga Rao, Judge, A.P. High Court, Justice N.D.Patnaik, Judge, A.P. High Court, Justice P.Ramakrishna Raju, Judge A.P. High Court, Shri P.S.Rao, Member, International Law Commission, Shri R.Rangaiah, Member, Income Tax Tribunal, Dr. M.Gopalakrishna Reddy, former Vice-Chancellor, Andhra University, Prof. Y.C.Simhadri, Vice-Chancellor, Banaras Hindu University, Late Sri B.Krishna Mohan, former Member UPSC and Sri G.V.G.Krishna Murthy, former Election Commissioner, Sri D.V.Subba Rao, Chairman Bar Council of India as its alumni among others. In Public life also the College has such distinguished alumni as Shri K.Yerram Naidu, former Union Minister, (Late) Sri. G.M.C.Balayogi, former Hon'ble Speaker, Lok Sabha, Sri M.Venkaiah Naidu, former Hon'ble Union Minister for Rural Development and former president, Bharateeya Janata Party. At present this college has more than ten distinguished alumni as sitting judges in Andhra Pradesh High Court and a number of its former students in the subordinate judiciary in Andhra Pradesh.
The college is support by Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP), a World Bank funded project to develop technical education in the country. TEQIP necessitated autonomous status to the College. It is a matter of pride that AUCE(A) stands at No.1 position in implementing the programme in the country. AUCE(A), is ever ready to help and support public and private organization whenever technical support or otherwise is sought. The successful conduct of the first ever recruitment examination of APCRDA is a feather in the cap of AUCE(A).
Within the limited resources available, the College has been endeavoring to improve the standards of teaching and research to prepare the students for advanced study and research to prepare the students for advanced study and research at LL.M., and Ph.D. levels as well as to help them in building up their careers at the Bar.