- Name : Sri. D.Ramesh
- Designation : Head of the Department
The Department of Anthropology is one of the oldest in South India established in the year 1961 under the leadership of Dr. N. Subba Reddy. The department maintains a holistic approach to anthropological teaching and research in all fields of the discipline including Socio-cultural Anthropology, Biological Anthropology and Palaeo Anthropology. Initially the department offered course in Social Anthropology specialization. G. Golla Reddy joined the department in November 1961 followed by D. L. Prasada Rao in the year 1962 as lecturers. A. Muniratnam Reddy joined the faculty in the year 1967. Dr. Aiyyapan, the former Head of the department of Anthropology, Utkal University and Vice-Chancellor of Kerala University has associated with the department as research professor during 1967-69 period.
Dr M. R. Chakravarthi joined as Reader in the year 1969 and initiated offering courses in Physical Anthropology specialization. With the joining of Dr K. Thimma Reddy in 1970 who specialized in Pre-history, the department attained full-fledged status by offering courses in all the three specializations and continued its holistic aspects till today. Recognizing the vast growth of the discipline, in 1973 a separate department of Human Genetics and Physical Anthropology was carved out and Dr. M. R. Chakravarthi took the reins of that department. With the establishment of Anthropology department at S. V. University in 1972, Dr. Muniratnam Reddy was grafted to Tirupati. Later, Prof. Subba Reddy moved to University of Madras to establish a new department to Anthropology in 1976. M. Kodanda Rao, G. Prakash Reddy, R. Yathiraj Kumar and Dr. P. Veerraju joined the department in 1975 followed by induction of K. E. Rajpramukh, J. M. Naidu K. Srinivasa Murthy, V. L. Narasimha Rao, Ch. Bapu Haranath and P. Vijayaprakash in the year 1979. P. Veerraju was elevated as Reader and joined in the department of Human Genetics and Physical Anthropology Dr Kodanda Rao was elevated and joined as Reader in NEHU who late moved to University of Hyderabad University to start the Department of Anthropology and sociology. Dr. Prakash Reddy took up professorship at S. V. University, Tirupati in 1986. Dr. G. Jai Kishan joined the faculty in the year 1984. Dr S. Narahari, Dr. R. Sambasiva Rao, Dr. G. Paddaiah Dr. V. Subramanyam and Mr D. Ravindranath joined the faculty in the year 1985. Then the department had the strength of 16 teaching staff members during 1985-86. Later on P. D. S. Pal Kumar joined in 1994 followed by D. Ramesh in year 2000.
The department has a sound infrastructural base for pursuing teaching and research activities. It is endowed with four laboratories- human cytogenetics laboratory, forensic& serology laboratory, molecular genetics laboratory, Paleo anthropological laboratory, an ethnographic museum with a wide collection of exhibits from various parts of the country, a library, audio-visual equipment, film archive and skilled human resources.
Students for the four-semester postgraduate program in Anthropology are drawn from arts and science subjects admitted through a common entrance test held by the university. They are exposed in the fourth semester to a three week field-work in tribal areas to provide them first hand experience in data collection, analysis and report writing.
The alumni of the department are occupying important positions in universities, research institutes, apart from State and Central governments and other organizations. The department extends consultancy services for government and voluntary organizations. It carries out activities such as genetic counseling, blood grouping tests, as part of extension activities and self sustaining efforts.
|Social Anthropology Specialization|
|Biological Anthropology Specialization|
|Palaeo Anthropology Specialization|
|Post Graduate Program(2 years)|
|Name||Designation||Qualification||Specialization||Areas of Interest|
|Prof. P.D.S.Pal Kumar||Professor||M. A.||Cultural Anthropology||Social Inequality, Dependency Relations, Human Rights .|
|Sri. D.Ramesh||Assistant Professor &
Head of the Department
|M. A.||Cultural Anthropology||Ethnographic Studies of Denotifide Tribes|
|Dr. K.E. RajPramukh||Emeritus Professor (UGC)||Ph.D.||Cultural Anthropology||Medical Anthropology|
|Dr. V. Subramanyam||Emeritus Professor (UGC)||Ph.D.||Cultural Anthropology||Economic Anthropology|
|Dr. M.V.Ratnam||Post Doctoral Fellow (ICSSR)||Ph.D.||Cultural Anthropology||Ethnographic studies of tribes|
|Dr. Ch.Seshagiri Rao||Post Doctoral Fellow (UGC)||Ph.D.||Biological Anthropology Growth and development|
|Dr. N.Srinivas||Guest Faculty||Ph.D.||Paleo Anthropology||Paleo Anthropology, Ethnographic studies|
|Dr. K.Sanyasi Naidu||Guest Faculty||Ph.D.||Cultural Anthropology||Introduction to social and cultural anthropology and Dalit studies.|
|Sri. P. Appalanaidu||Guest Faculty||M.Sc.||Biological Anthropology||Medical Anthropology, Demography, Human Biology, Human Genetics|
|Sri. K. Srinivasu||Guest Faculty||M.Phil.||Cultural Anthropology||Visual and Communication Anthropology, Study of Fishing Communities|
|Smt. G. Jayasree||Guest Faculty||M.Sc.||Biological Anthropology||Human Biology, Growth and development|
- Human Cytogenetics Laboratory: It is equipped with all the state of art technology like laminar flow, incubator, centrifuse, micro-centrifuse, field contrast microscope, culture media and all the chemicals needed and essential for carrying out regular Human chromosomal work.
- Serological and Forensic Laboratory: Equipped with necessary paraphernalia to carry out blood group typing, both ABO and Rh and other blood groups like, MN, Duff, Kell, Secretor, non-secretor; forensic investigations like developing latent finger prints, identification of biological and skeletal material, finger print analysis and also DNA finger printing.
- Paleo Laboratory: To carry out pollen and soil analysis, identification of tool types e.t.c for reconstruction of prehistory by the analysis of the material culture.
- Molecular Laboratory: Extraction of DNA, Analysis of DNA with a host of RFLP's, DNA finger printing, Polymerase chain reaction , Southern blotting.
- Ethnographic Museum: It contains material cultural artifacts representing tribal and rural populations of India in general and the material culture 0f Andhra-Orissa-Chattisgarh, Andaman and Nicobar tribes and rural populations of North Coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh. Models of different racial types, relevant prehistoric tools and photographic exhibits of several cultures are also part of the ethnographic museum. All the exhibits are systematically catalogued and thematically displayed with eye pleasing illumination.
- Library: In addition to the General Library of the University, the department has established a library of its own with a collection of nearly thousand books & journals for the benefit of students, scholars & teachers.
- Audio Visual Equipment: Audio visual equipment is acquired to facilitate effective teaching - learning process and felid work include over - head projectors, slide projectors, TV, Cassette recorders, cameras &computers.
- Film Archive: A collection of nearly 25 video - cassettes depicting ethnographic accounts of several cultures are acquired from various sources.
The Department awarded 2 D.Litt's, 118 PhDs starting from the year 1967 and 27 M.Phils starting from the year 1988. Following is the list of D.Litt's, PhDs and M.Phils awarded from 1984.
|S.No||Name||Guide||Date of Award|
|01||A. Janaki||Prof. Sri Rama Murty||03/07/1984|
|02||Kottapalli Ghanasyamala Prasada rao||Prof. Sri Rama Murty||30/07/1984|
|03||Mullapudi jayasitaramasastry||Prof.Pardhasaradhi rao||28/01/1985|
|04||Lakshmi kumara sarma||Prof.v.Subbarao||19/06/1985|
|05||Ramavarapu sarat babu||Prof.p.Sri rama murthy||29/06/1985|
|06||Ivaturi srinivasarao||Prof.sri rama murthY||24/10/1985|
|07||Rani sada siva murthy||Prof.Partha sarathi rao||19/12/1985|
|08||Korada Subrahmanyam||Prof.p.Sri rama murthy||1986|
|10||Mylavarapu Srinivasa Rao||Dr.D.Siva prasad||14/04/1990|
|11||Tatavarti Suseela||Dr.D.Siva prasad||14/04/1990|
|12||Nimmagadda Satya Venkata Subrahmanyam||Dr.D.Sivaprasad||09/10/1990|
|14||Amrutavakkula Seshakumar||P.Sri Ramamurty||10/04/1991|
|15||Oruganti Guruprasada Lakshminarayana||Dr.D.Siva Prasad||11/04/1991|
|16||Ranin Subbaiah Deekshitulu||G.Parthasarathy Rao||21/07/1991|
|17||Vadapalli Srinivasa Rao||Dr.D.Siva Prasad||21/07/1991|
|18||Dorbala Prabhakara Sarma||Prof. P.Sri Rama Murty||21/07/1991|
|19||Kompella Rama Suryanarayana||Dr.D.Sivaprasad||30/07/1991|
|20||Sristi Lakshmi Narasimham||Dr.D.Sivaprasad||29/08/1991|
|23||Kolluru Avatara Sarma||Prof. V.Subrahmanyam||09/04/1995|
|24||Dr.Madabhushi Srinivas||Prof. V.Subrahmanyam||9/078/1995|
|25||Oruganti Sriramalal Sarma||Prof.S.B.Raghunathacharya||26/07/1995|
|26||Marrivada Sivaram||Dr.K.V.Venkateswara Rao||02/02/1996|
|27||h. Rama Devi||Dr.K.Gayathri Devi||23/05/1996|
|32||Dr.V.Subrahmanya Sastri||Dr G.A.Sarma||27/02/1997|
|33||R.V.Kameswara Sarma||Dr.K.V.Venkateswara Rao||04/10/1997|
|36||Bh.Siva Jyothi Kumari||Prof.D.Sivaprasad||04/05/1998|
|37||Dr. M. Dattatreya Sastry||Pro. P. Srirama Murty||1998|
|38||Dr. T.P.S Ramanujam||Pro. P. Srirama Murthy||1999|
|39||Dr. A.S.V. Mahalakshmamma||Pro. K. Gayathri Devi||2000|
|41||MS.M.LAKSHMI AMMANNA||PROF.K.GAYATHRI DEVI||2001|
|43||SRI.R.VENKATESWARA RAO||PROF.K.GAYATHRI DEVI||2002|
|45||Dr. V. Ramalingam||Pro. O. S. Ramlal Sarma||2002|
|47||SRI.V. SRINIVASACHARYULU||PROF.K.V.VENKATESWARA RAO||2003|
|48||MS C.VANAJA||PROF.K.GAYATHRI DEVI||2004|
|49||SRI CH.PRAVEEN||PROF.K.GAYATHRI DEVI||2005|
|50||MS D.JEEVANA SRI||PROF.K.V.VENKATESWARA RAO||2005|
|51||SRI P. UMA MAHESWARA RAO||PROF.K.V.VENKATESWARA RAO||2005|
|52||SRI J.BALICHAKRAVARTHY||PROF. K. V. VENKATESWARA RAO||2005|
|54||MS.K.V.R.B.VARA LAKSHMI||PROF. G. A. SARMA||2007|
|55||MS. I. MANJULA||PROF. G. A. SARMA||2008|
|56||Sri. PURANDAS SYAMDAS||PROF. K. V. VENKATESWARA RAO||2009|
|57||Ms. B.L.VYJAYANTHI||PROF.K.GAYATHRI DEVI||2009|
|58||Ms. Hari Lalitha Devi||Prof. K.V. Venkateswara Rao||2009|
|59||Ms. K. Naga Suneetha||Prof. M.V. Ramana||2009|
|60||Sri. M.V.B Gangadhara Rao||Prof. M.V. Ramana||2010|
|61||Sri. P. B. V. Siva Prasad||Prof. M. V. Ramana||2010|
|62||Ms. S. U. V. RAJA LAKSHMI||PROF. M. V. RAMANA||12/5/2010|
|63||Sri. B. L. SURYANARAYANA||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||11/8/2010|
|64||Sri. SHAIK BABUJI||PROF. M. V. RAMANA||11/8/2010|
|65||Sri. CHODISETTI RAMA GOPAL||PROF. G. A. SARMA||1/9/2010|
|66||Sri. P. SRINIVAS ARUN||PROF. G. A. SARMA||3/9/2010|
|67||Ms. P. SUNEETHA DEVI||PROF. G. A. SARMA||5/2/2011|
|68||Dr. SUSARLA SARADA PURNA||PROF. M. V. RAMANA||25-10-2011|
|69||Sri. S. SANJAY KUMAR||PROF. G. AKKUBHOTLU SARMA||3/12/2011|
|70||Sri. S. S. VIJAYA RAGHAVAN||DR. K. YEDUKONDALU||1/2/2012|
|71||Sri. M. RAJESWARA RAO||PROF. G. AKKUBHOTLU SARMA||1/2/2012|
|72||Sri V. PRADEEP||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||9/11/2012|
|73||Sri P. N. B. R. S. S. SARMA||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||9/11/2012|
|74||Ms. PUJARI SRILATHA||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||13-03-2013|
|75||Ms. CH. N. S. PADMAVATHI||PROF. G. A. SARMA||21-03-2013|
|76||Sri K. NAGA RAJU||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||16-07-2013|
|77||Sri PIYARATANA HINGULWALA||PROF. M. V. RAMANA||25-11-2013|
|78||Ms. Meenakshi Bai Tivari||PROF. K. GAYATHRI DEVI||12/11/2014|
|S.No||Name||Topic or Guide||Year|
|1||T. Ravindra Kumar||Concept of Nayaka in Alankara Sastra.||1991|
|2||Mr.O.V.Rama Rao||Samskrtamanusambhava � A Study||1998|
|3||Ms.P.Sivakameswari||Susamhatabharatam of Dr.Pullela Sriramachandrudu||1998|
|4||Ms.M.Radhamani||A Critical Study of Kanakalekhaparinaya- guide -- Prof. K Gayathri Devi||1998|
|5||Mr.P.B.V.Siva Prasad||Bhagavadgita and Purusasukta-A Comparitive Study guide -- Prof. K Gayathri Devi||1998|
|6||Ms.V.K.Parimala||A Study of the life and works of Brahmibhusana R.L.N.Sastry||1998|
|7||Ms.S.U.V.Rajyalakshmi||The Commentaries of Dakshinavartanatha and Mallinatha on Meghasandesa-A Comparative Study||1998|
|8||Sri. R.V. Srinivasa Rao||Prof. K Gayathri Devi||2010|
|9||Ms. M. Jaya Rama Lakshmi||Prof. K. Gayathri Devi||2010|
|10||Ms. A.N.P.S. Bhavani||Prof. G.A Sarma||2011|
|11||Sri. Tappetla Chittibabu||Prof. G.A Sarma||2011|
|12||Ms. Neelam Pandey||Prof. M.V. Ramana||2011|
|13||Ms. Pasupuleti Kamala Kumari||Prof. M.V. Ramana||2013|
D.Litt's Awarded to : 2
Dr. E. Veda Vyasa, IAS 1989
Prof. Subbarayan 1995
- Extension Services
- Anthropometric measurements and other genetic traits
- Blood typing of both ABO and Rh groups.
- Consultancy to Government of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to identify the status of Scheduled Caste and Tribes.
- Consultancy to N.G.O's , State & Central level.
- Forensic identification like finger print analysis.
- Genetic Counseling
- Identification of Prehistoric tools and other material cultures
- Involvement in Community Development programs
- Nutritional assessments of different foodstuffsBlood typing of both ABO and Rh groups.
- Employing Agencies
- Anthropological Survey of India is the premier organization which mostly employs the greenhorn anthropologists.
- At the state level there is Tribal Cultural Research Organization (TCR & TI) which not only conducts research on various aspects of the tribals, in addition it also provides some employment.
- Many of the national research institutes like National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Indian council for Medical Research (ICMR), Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya (IGRMS), Bhopal Planning Commission and Non Government Organizations (NGOs).