Andhra University is the second institute in the country to start pharmacy Program at University level in 1937. The pharmacy programs were initially offered in the B.Sc. Honours degree of chemical technology and as a specialization at M.Sc. Chemical Technology level. The importance of pharmaceutical sciences led to the formation of a separate department in 1951, with the commencement of B.Pharm. course with late Prof. S. Rangaswamy as founder Head of the Department. The M.Pharm. course was started in 1954. A separate Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences was formed in 1975.The department has been elevated as a constituent college of Andhra University in August 2006.
At present, the college offers B.Pharm, Pharm-D, M.Pharm in eight specializations such as Pharmaceutics , Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy , Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Regulatory affairs. The department has the distinction of being the first in the country to start pharmaceutical biotechnology division. Prof. S. Rangaswamy and founder faculty members Prof. V. Subba Rao, Prof. N. Viswanadham, Prof. K. Sambamurty and Prof. E. Venkata Rao laid solid foundations and moulded the department into one of the best in the country.
Eminent teachers and researchers who served as "Heads of the Department" in the past and contributed richly to its development include Prof. S. Rangaswamy (1951-1963), Prof. V. Subba Rao (1963-1979), Prof. N. Viswanadham (1979-1982), Prof. K. Sambamurty (1982-1985), Prof. E. Venkata Rao (1985-1988), Prof. D. Visweswaram (1988-1991), Prof. R.V. Krishna Rao (1991-1992), Prof. M. Vimala Devi (1993-1995), Prof. D. Venkata Rao (1996-1998), and Prof. P. Ellaiah (1999-2001).
The alumni of the department are holding high positions in prestigious national and international bodies, drug industry, drugs control administration and in Universities in India and abroad. A good rapport is being maintained between the college and its alumni. The alumni has formed an association named Andhra University Pharmacy Alumni Association which is under the umberalla of Andhra Univerity Alumini Association(AAA). The faculty of the college has shown their commitment and dynamism by conducting a number of workshops, national and international seminars and conferences and also the prestigious Indian Pharmaceutical Congress thrice, in 1977 , 1995 and 2015.