- Develop the center as a reference and resource hub integrating knowledge and expertise in the specialty of environmental management and sustainable development.
- Contribute to the transformation of technology to the field for the betterment of the society through training, research and development and community/society development activities.
- Developing nodal agency for the development of environmental entrepreneurship and skill development.
- Environmental interventions and innovations
- Centre acts as an environmental think tank for the state of Andhra Pradesh and neighboring states and other Indian states of India.
- Provide excellent education in the field of environmental sciences and engineering, conduct basic and applied research, addressing management of natural resource, environmental challenges of humanity and industry in assisting the governments in policy development and governance.
- Promotion of interdisciplinary innovative research and dissemination of knowledge for the transformation of lives and livelihoods towards sustainable development.
- Support the government in its efforts in environmental management, addressing climate change challenges and sustainable development through apposite research
- Promoting partnership with various stakeholders’ like students, institutions, industry, governments, business organizations, Non-government Organizations, and local communities.
CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENT, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE (CESCC):The "CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENT, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE (CESCC)" will coordinate with the governments at various levels of local bodies, both urban and rural authorities, for a healthier environment and society. The eventual objective is to create trained professionals, promoting R&D in the field of environmental management and sustainable development and transfer of the knowledge to the needy / society. All the activities of the center will be in accordance with the mandate of the university and in accordance with its norms, rules and regulations in force from time to time.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The prime goal of the center is to promote education, research, and outreach the needy society.
- Provide practical education in the fields of environmental management, climate change and sustainable development and a mending it as a destination of choice for higher learning in the country.
- Making it as a distinctive research and development institution with committed faculty and researchers to benefit the economy, society and the environment.
- Collaborate with academic, governmental, non-governmental, , business, industry and non-profit organizations that have similar objectives as the center to create synergy to address the issues and challenges in the natural resource and environmental management, climate change and sustainable development.
- Emerging as a preferred partner for creating technological solutions and policy innovations.
- Contributing to the knowledge base for the government initiatives in the field of environment, climate change and sustainable development.
- Search for multidisciplinary approach to the possible challenges to the public health and hygiene.
- Development of various suitable programs in the field of environment, climate change and sustainability.
- Act as an urban observatory for the improvement of the functioning of urban and local bodies.
- Taking up R & D activities in the thrust areas of Environment, climate change and sustainable development.
- Instrumental in designing and development of skill development programs.
- Disseminating the knowledge to the society through community development programs.
- Interaction with national and international institutions of repute for collaboration, sharing of knowledge in a mutually beneficial way.
- Addressing the issues of government organizations / department and local industries for better environmental management.
- Taking up projects for the development of innovative research and incubation with outcomes to the benefit of the environment and society.
- Adopting leading edge technologies and world-class best practices to achieve the goals.
DIVISIONS OF THE CENTRE
The center intends to have the different divisions to take up the specialized activities of various characteristics of the environment management, climate change, natural resources management and sustainable development. Principally, it consists of the following four departments.
- Environmental Management
- Natural Resource Management
- Climate Change
- Sustainable Development
All the Divisions should be part of the activities of the center contributing towards the center’s goals and objectives. Each division will take up the work related to its specialization. It is mandatory to take part in cross sectoral works cutting across the specialization.
STRUCTURE OF THE CENTRE
The Director will be the head of the center. Each of the divisions will be headed by Head of the Division. Change of the administrative structure may be as per the norms of the university in place from time to time. The general structure of the CESCC is presented in Figure 1. The following initial organizational structure is suggested; this will be appropriately modified as needed to include grants development division, interdepartmental liaison and other functions to carry out various studies at the center.
Figure 1. The General Structure of the CESCC, Andhra Uniersity.
Each department can have divisions as per the requirements of the center / university. The CESCC should mandatorily function as per the university rules, regulations, guidelines and administrative systems.
ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES OF THE CENTRE
The center is established to take up academic activities like under graduate, post graduate, doctoral and postdoctoral programs. It is being one of the first few universities to start UG and PG programs in environmental engineering in the India. The center aims at continuing the same, will start new courses and programs in the field of environment management, climate change, natural resources management and sustainable development. Teaching, research and extension services are part of the academic activity. It emphasizes learning through traditional Indian systems with hands on experience and learning through practice to acquire knowledge and skills simultaneously. The academic atmosphere should provide a friendly environment for inculcating innovation and creativity. The center takes up multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary research integrating the engineering and science in the said areas of interest. The major thrust areas, in which the center will undertake projects for scientific, engineering, sociology, and economics related studies are Air Resources (Ambient Air Pollution– Micro and Macro levels), Water Resources (Management of water resources, Pollution of Surface Water, Groundwater, and Seawater, Industrial Wastewater Treatment and Management, Solid Waste and Hazardous Waste Management) and Land Resources (Pollution of Land by Wastes, Agricultural Utilization of Wastewaters by Recycling and Reuse, Afforestation and Mitigation of Adverse Effects of Climate Change). As part of education, research and outreach of the CESCC, Andhra University the following are envisaged
- i. Develop a strong curriculum in natural resource management, environmental management and sustainable development studies comparable to those offered by leading environmental education institutions of the world for the award of advanced degrees in the fields of environmental sciences and engineering.
- ii. Compete for opportunities to develop and train the best students who will be the leaders of tomorrow to be engaged to tackle complex environmental pollution problems.
- iii. Develop modern laboratories to characterize various types of pollutants and pollution of the air, water, and land resources within the districts that the Center wants to serve.
- iv. Develop a library and resource center to house books, journals, periodicals, and GIS relevant to environmental studies.
- v. Plan and organize various outreach activities such as conducting workshops, expositions, awareness programs, forums and conferences on various topics, and developing multimedia approaches to inform and educate public on environmental topics.
- vi. Develop and integrate databases on the quality of water and air within the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- vii. Offer training to environmental professionals and conduct workshops relevant to the needs of the region in the areas of air and water pollution, and climate change effects.
- viii. Build effective communication channels to inform challenges, solutions to environmental problems, and opportunities, to different stakeholders ranging from members of the local communities to policy makers.
- ix. Conduct studies on the sociological and economic impacts of sources of pollution and their effect on the environment and public health.
- x. Develop collaborative activities with internationally reputed universities to exchange knowledge.
The continuing education and training of the industrial personal in various specializations will also be part of the center. The faculty include both regular, visiting and honorary working from across universities / institutions / governmental organizations and industry from within India and also from abroad. It enables the center to become internationally recognized center of excellence in the field of environment management, climate change, and natural resources management on sustainable development. All the activities will be in accordance with the mandate of the university and in accordance with its norms, rules and regulations in force from time to time.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The research and development activities of the Centre are part of its activities taken up by the faculty, researchers and students. Some of the activities include
- i. Develop strong interdisciplinary interactions and partnerships to carry out basic and applied research to collectively solve complex environmental problems. These interdisciplinary pursuits will engage students and faculty from engineering (civil and environmental, chemical, mechanical, electrical and computer engineering branches), sciences (chemistry, physics, meteorology, biology, marine sciences, microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology etc.) social sciences, economics, statistics, public health, and medical disciplines.
- ii. Work on projects that foster the health of ecosystems, natural resources conservation, energy conservation, collection and treatment of wastewater, recycle and reuse of wastewater and other residuals generated in communities.
- iii. Identify research needs to conserve water supplies of tribal areas and protect them from pollution.
- iv. Explore the possibility of mitigating the adverse effects of climate change through reducing greenhouse gas emissions, energy conservation, and promoting afforestation.
- v. Apply for grants for finding appropriate technologies to solve the problems in the various faculties of the CESCC.
- vi. Develop a program to address environmental pollution problems relevant to the coastal marine waters such as the discharge of industrial and municipal wastes and offshore drilling operations.
The center intended to take up contemporary research projects such as Impact of COVID-19 Crisis and Lockdown on Environment, Biodiversity and Related Areas etc. along with other thrust areas.
COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH AND EXTENSION SERVICES
Expert team of academic staff, researchers, and students of the center can take part in the extensive services which include the continuing education / training, providing solutions to the issue and challenges through collaborative research / consultancy, community services in rural and urban area for better environment and neighborhood.
- i. Foster relationships and encourage collaborative efforts between and among national and international environmental agencies and organizations.
- ii. Work with the state surface and groundwater agencies and strengthen its monitoring programs by interaction of the faculty and students.
- iii. Develop databases on information related to both surface and groundwater resources of the region, and identify needs for amelioration of polluted waters as needed.
- iv. Conduct various outreach and extension service activities as needed by the society at large, industry, and governmental agencies.
- v. Publish a newsletter to create awareness among various stakeholders related to environmental affairs around the state, nation, and the world.
As part of collaborative services, the centesr will also emphasis on Environmental Entrepreneurship and Management.