Hindi studies in Andhra University were initiated due to the inspiration gained at the call of Mahatma Gandhi during the independence movement. Due to the fore-thought of the academic personalities like Dr. C.R.Reddi and the Syndicate Members like Sri. Lakkaraju Subba Rao Hindi subject was made compulsory as a second language at Graduation level for B.Com (Hons) students in 1940. A Post Graduate Department in Hindi was established in August 1965 with 8 students in the Law College Building premises. The former faculty member Dr. Yaralgada Lakshmi Prasad has received Padma Sri award from Government of India.
A separate building ‘Hindi Bhavan' was constructed in 1978 for Hindi Department, with the 3 lakhs grant received from the Government of Uttar Pradesh, one lakh donation from Philanthropist Sri. R.K.Saraaf, FACOR in the name of his father Sriram Saraaf and one and half lakhs donation from Smt.(Late) Jayanti Venkata Lakshmi in the name of famous Telugu writer Kalaprapoorna Puripanda Appala Swami. The founder Professor G.Sundara Reddi was responsible to get the grant from Uttar Pradesh Government and FACOR. Where as Prof. S.M.Iqbal was instrumental in getting the donation from Smt. Jayanti Venkata Lakshmi for the construction of Puripanda Library Hall. Dr. Y.Lakshmi Prasad was instrumental in obtaining a grant of one and a half lakh rupees from the M.P. funds of Sri M.V.V.S. Murthy, Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) for the Audio-Visual Equipment and in procuring other facilities for the department