Initiated by Dr S.Radhakrishnan in 1932, the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies owes its origin to his creative influence with the motto Global Understanding with Vedantic Spirit expressed in the writings of Padmabhushan PT Raju and Padmavibhushan K. Satchidananda Murty. Starting from its foundation head Professor Saileswar Sen, it has been one of the leading centers in India, which stood for East-West understanding and Compartive Philosophy. Scholars in the Department have carried on this tradition in a comprehensive way. Further the former teachers such as A Lakshmana Rao, BV Kishan, G Sundera Ramaiah and others wrote books on diversified fields.
Starting from 1970, the Department is given financial assistance by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi through FIP, ULP, SAP and ASIHSS Programs, and achieved a considerable national status by conducting natinal seminars. Teachers from various states from Tripura, Assam, Orissa and Tamilnadu came and did their research leading to Ph.D Degrees.